Friday, September 7, 2012

White Eggplant - Local box 9/6/12


I love it when i get a vegetable in a different form or color than is usual. Feels exotic!
This week I got White Eggplants!



Here's the list:

Sweet Potato Greens
Lettuce
Avocados
Okra
Eggplant
Limes
Zucchini
Persimmons
Kefir Pears
Butternut Squash


I have secret plans for the Zucchini, Okra, Eggplant and Avocados that cannot be revealed in public...yet - .hmmmmm, you will have to wait till I post the box results next week.

I'm drinking LOTS of smoothies lately though and will probably use an avocado in one this week, I also bought these cool new things made by Amy's, frozen Sandwich Rounds, vegan and gluten free, that kind of beg to be toasted and topped with avocado & tabasco

Sweet Potato Greens - I think I got these last year but I don't remember what I did with them - I did some research and found that you can treat them like spinach.  I still haven't used my Wild About Greens cookbook! What looks good to me right now is Curried Spinach & Chickpea Soup - sub the sweet potato greens!

Limes - I really want to make this Cilantro-Lime Dressing - will just sub Agave for the Honey

Kefir Pears - there was a note with the box pointing out that this kind of pear is hard when ripe and suggests slicing in a salad - yeah! So will do that with the lettuce

Persimmons - these baffle me - I don't think I had success last time we got these, and there are a ton in this box! Here is a site with Five Ways to Eat Persimmons that is helpful - mine are green so I think they are not ripe yet, I will leave them in the bowl for a few days and see. I'll keep you posted

Butternut Squash - the cutest tiny butternut squashes ever! keeping the trend of using a cookbook i've never used before (i'm a cookbook hoarder!) - I want to make Black-Eyed-Butternut Tostadas from Viva Vegan by Terry Hope Romero - ps this recipe calls for making your own tostadas by frying corn tortillas, i am WAY too lazy for that so will use premade tostadas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment