Saturday, September 22, 2012

Local Box 8/20/12

The first thing I saw when I opened this box was these two big beautiful tomatoes.  I was dinner time so made toast, marmite, avocado and tomato.  It reminded me of my best friend Claudia in London, it's the kind of thing we always made for midnight snacks as teenagers in London.

Nice usable box this week, here's the goods:

Slicing Tomatoes
Purple Hull Pease
Microgreens
Arugula
Okra
Yukon Potatoes
Persimmons
Meyer Lemons
Sweet Potatoes
Live Sage Plant

So, yeah, the Tomatoes - I so rarely buy big tomatoes, I'm always getting cherry toms for salads, but I love them, and i have this amazing harvest bread from Whole Foods, so I'm just going to use them up on sandwiches and toast things like that.

Purple Hull Peas - i already cooked them up and I found in my Wild About Greens cookbook a Pinto Bean salad with watercress & Dill, that has Arugula in it, so I will make it with the peas instead, it uses a tomato too! Oh, and i will actually sub the Micro Greens for the watercress. yes!

Okra - after the huge success of the grilled Okra last week I think i'm going to do it again here at home and see if my kids like it! I predict my son will, my daughter won't

Yukon Potatoes - I just finally read through an issue of Vegetarian Times i've had lying around for weeks, and found a very tasty sounding Warm German Potato Salad  - it has temeph as the "bacon"

Lemons - not sure - meyer lemon's seem so special, but I will probably make salad dressing,

Sweet Potatoes - i kind of just feel like steaming these and eating them in a rice bowl with kale and avocado.  I also found in my cookbook The New Vegetarian Grill by Andrea Chesman, a recipe for Grilled Sweet Potato with Maple Lime Marinade.

No comments:

Post a Comment