Friday, January 25, 2013

Local Box 1/24/13 - Vegan Greenling meal plan

Look how beautiful this box is!




I get so excited everytime i open a new box, I ooh and ahh as i take out each thing, my kids think i'm nuts getting so celebratory over a bunch of veggies. Its just so exciting looking at it all, anticipating the goodness to come, it's really like a surprise present every time. Thanks Greenling!

Ok, here we go:

Dill
Swiss Chard
Broccoli
Collards
Gai Choy Cabbage
Turnips
Tangerines
Lemons
Cilantro plant

I'm going to use cookbooks for all but one recipe this week - you could say i'm a cookbook hoarder, i cold never cook everything from all of them in my lifetime i think. I should stop, but i can't. I love them. Maybe i will take a picture of them all one day if i'm not too embarassed. So sorry if you can't look them up online - you should expand your cookbook collections. It's fun

when i get Dill I think of dips and sauces - or i guess potato salad. Ok, now i'm torn. I think I will make Roasted Red Pepper Sauce from Forks over Knives cookbook, by Del Sroufe (one of my new ones I got in Marshall at the New Year New You fest) - it only takes 2 Tablespoons of Dill. I may serve it over brown rice or pasta. or the Broccoli!
Speaking of Broccoli - my kids just like it steamed so i tend to just do that.

I also found in my old faithful Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romery (a vegan cookbook essential) a sauce called Dill-Tahini Sauce.  I feel myself going towards a sauce phase, i signed up for a sauce cooking class at Natural Epicurian, and I want to explore more ways to make basic foods have extra oomph through sacues - if i don't make this one, then i will use the Dill in potato salad of some sort, now that the weather is postively spring like

I also found a Lemon Tahini sauce in Crazy Sexy Kitchen by Kris Carr - that goes with Bok Choy, I could use it with Chard or Collards or as a dip.

Another book i picked up in Marshall was Unprocessed by Chef AJ - she focuses on oil free and whole foods cooking, as did most of the chefs at that event. In that book i found Miso Collards with a Kick. We shall see how oil free goes down - i am interested and may try and do a whole box Oil Free. The "kick" in this recipe is a jalapeno

The one non cookbook recipe i want to make is Mushroom Chard and Caramelized Onion Tacos - also happen to be oil free, they are part of the Whole Foods Health Starts Here program - check out their  14 Day Blast Off to health

Gai Choy Cabbage - I already used it! It was very leafy and most of the recipes that came up were sauteed, but I was planning a black bean soup for dinner last night and wanted a cold crispy salad to go with. I found Cabbage Hemp Salad in Crazy Sexy Kitchen, it called for regular green and purple cabbage mix but i just decided to sub the Gai Choy even though it looks different. It was so good, it used hemp or flax oil (i had flax) and an avocado all massaged into the cabbage! Oh and this also used Cilantro.


Turnips - really hardly any of my cookbooks have turnip recipes - but in Veganomicon again i found Rutabaga Puree tht you can sub with Turnip - and suggests it pairs well with Tamarind Lentils

No comments:

Post a Comment