Thursday, March 29, 2012

Local Box 3/22/12 - Kohlrabi!

i have never gotten Kohlrabi before - but i've always wanted to! it was the "K" in a children's book about vegetables that i used to read to my kids. it's very cool looking, kind of intimidating - may websites with recipes describe it as "sputnik" looking


Avocado
Swiss Chard
Collard Greens
Kohlrabi
Dill bunch
oranges
Carrots
Limes
Broccoli
Rutabaga

Well i have already made a couple of things!
here is a plate of both mashed rutabaga AND rutabaga fries that i ate with a veggie burger patty


And this is  Dijon Dill Green Beans  from Blissful Bites cookbook by Christy Morgan
As well as some quinoa that has lime juice in the dressing.

my son loves little purple potatoes so I am going to make this Creamy Dill Potato Salad with more dill -I also think i'm going to experiment with the dill & lime to make some salad dressings, i'm getting into making my own dressings, they are so much tastier!

I already used the Chard but i forgot a picture! I made Chard with Capers & Olives from the Viva Vegan! cookbook.

I'm not sure what to do with the Kohlrabi but this WEBSITE has some ideas - right now i like the idea of adding it raw to a salad, but i need to investigate more

Collards  - i am going to use Blissful Bites again - she has this great recipe that i used before with a different green called African Collard Stir Fry, it has orange juice and carrots too!

Broccoli - again from Blissful Bites (i really love this cookbook) - Broccoli Salad with creamy Mustard Dressing, has a carrot in it too, maybe i will sub Kohlrabi for the radish or just add it!

1 comment:

  1. My Kohlrabi was skinny and long instead of round. I don't know if that's why, but it was too tough to eat. I used the box recipe and cooked it for much longer than they said necessary, but I gave up. Even the blender couldn't chop it up to add to the broccoli/rutabaga soup (great flavor, but needs a real food processor to get the right texture). Overall, though, I loved my first local box. Thanks for all the recipe ideas!

    ReplyDelete